Friday, May 9, 2008

AFTA-1 SPECIAL @ Recluse Sessions!

Afta-1 aka Manuel Moran is a upcoming music producer from Los Angeles, California. His debut album titled Aftathoughts Vol. 1 was released this January and the record has been given high praise by the likes of Benji B (BBC 1Xtra) and magazines such as Dazed & Confused. This man is the one to wach out for this year.

In May 2008 we are focusing into the man and his groovin´music in both of our radio shows Pause, Recluse Radio and naturally over here at Recluse Sessions.
The radio shows will feature a exclusive DJ mix from Afta-1 plus choice cuts from his new LP!
Afta-1 mix playlist:
1. Mushinah - Jet Boat (Boozina remix)
2. J Dilla - Hello
3. Boozina - Drankstrumental
4. AFTA-1 - Lonnie (unreleased)
5. Flying Lotus - Roberta Flack ft. Dolly
6. Flying Lotus - Teal Leaf Dancers
7. IllaV8tr - Frikfrak
8. J Dilla - Rise
9. Little Dragon - No Love
10. J*Davey - Venus to Mars
11. Erykah Badu - Telephone

So stay tuned for:
-Recluse Radio show Friday May 9th at 22.00-00.00 PM.
Tune in and listen to the Bassoradio live broadcast.
&
-Pause Radio show on Radio Moreeni, listen to the Live Stream Monday May 12th at 21.00-22.00 PM.
This is not all!
Recluse Sessions is also proud to present an exclusive interview with the man with arguably the most interesting production out there right now. Enjoy this little Q&A with Afta-1 below:


Recluse Sessions Special Feature: Afta-1 Interview
By DJ Staffro for Recluse Sessions

The basics:

Can you give us a brief introduction?
A-1:
Peace, it's AFTA-1. A Wise man told me, "You are not your mind."

How long have you been producing?
A-1:
I would say since I've been conscious, haha, that probably translates to 'bout, 6 years.

Do you play instruments?, are you musically trained?
A-1: I play a little of everything by ear, no formal training.

If you absolutely had to describe your music or categorize it to any genres what would they be?
A-1:
Some people end up tossin' it in ‘Hip-Hop’. In reality, I’m a part of a group of producers that haven’t really been labeled yet in relation to genre. If I had to label my own sound then it would be ‘Visual’.

I read that someone described your style as "J Dilla, but 10 years into the future", Would you say you could be compared to him or artists like DJ Spinna, Geology or Flying Lotus for example?
A-1:
Being compared to Dilla is something I will always take as a compliment. I would say my style is AFTA-1, but I do think I can be compared to those cats, in the sense that I believe we're seeing the progression of music in the same way. Plus they’re friends of mine.

What are your musical influences?
A-1:
Over time I think it fluctuates, but it's always a little bit of everything. At the moment I would say anything sexy, hahaha…Downtempo, Dub, a little Coltrane, a little Tangerine Dream, Nexus 10:2, and Boozina.

About the album:

Tell us about your new release AFTATHOUGHTS Vol.1
A-1:
Hmm, how can I explain it better than it can itself? It's a message of LOVE transmitted through me to be translated by you. My hope is that it can serve as "the
soundtrack to your life".

I have read nothing but good reviews about it? Are you happy with how the album has been noticed in the media?
A-1:
Definitely, It's inspiring…a blessing, confirmation of my belief that the music would speak for itself.

It is an instrumental album, but have you worked with emcees or vocalists on other projects?
A-1:
I have, that's actually how I started off, but nothing that has been released. I have some things in the works right now with a few artists that really inspire me, So there will definitely be some collabs to be heard SOON!

What is your strategy as far as making a mark on this industry, are you looking to get signed to a major label, or what kind of goals have you set for your music professionally?
A-1:
The way the process of releasing this album from the ground up has panned out, has proven to me that doing it for yourself is completely possible and much more rewarding. I am open to a deal potentially, but there would definitely be some requirements on my end. I haven't set a definitive goal for the music. I feel the music is infinite, and as long as I let it serve its purpose
in the universe it will hold me down.

On production:

How are you producing this wonderful music, can you tell us more about that, what´s your set up?
A-1: Hmmm not sure if I should be giving away any secrets... haha. As you know I use Reason, but lets just say its not about what you use, and its definitely not limited to what you use; so in reality (especially recently) my set up is constantly evolving.

Do you mix your music yourself?
A-1:
Yeah, I do everything myself.

Do you dig in the crates a lot? Do you focus on certain style of music when diggin or is it all worth checking out?
A-1:
I definitely dig a lot, wherever I can get music from. It depends on the dig whether I'm looking for something in particular or not, but 97% of the time I go in and grab a little of everything. There's no real technique or box, it may be the cover, it may be the liner notes, I'm open to everything.

I noticed you have used a few samples that have been used in hiphop before and flipped them nicely with your own style, was that done on purpose to show your way of hearing things or did you just stumble upon these dope sounds to sample?
A-1:
Most of them I've stumbled on myself, some I've done purposely. Samples are instruments, so I think every producer approaches a sample differently, and there's no limit to how many folks can touch it.

I also noticed the way you tastefully blend samples and keyboard sounds in your production, care to share any tips, ´cause it sure sounds like a lot of producers could need ´em?
A-1:
Like I said, samples are instruments…so I like to blend my own ideas and create something brand new out of it. As far as tips, I find that with me…the most helpful has been: do you.

What inspires you to make a beat, what sparks your creativity?
A-1:
It can be anything that sparks it: a song, a conversation, an image; but my inspiration, and what carries the music is Love. Not necessarily in a romantic sense, but with the belief that Love encompasses everything that makes up my life.


The wrap up:

What´s up next for AFTA-1?
A-1:
I Guess I don't know for sure what's next for me, but judging by the way things are now, its all positive. Expect a lot of lovely music.

Do you think we´ll ever see you in Europe, or in Finland for example?
A-1: I don't think that's even a question, that's a definite!

So stay tuned!


Thanks for Afta-1 and Femi Martin for making this happen!

For more info on Afta-1 check out:

http://www.myspace.com/afta1

http://www.aftathoughts.com

No comments: